Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Book Review: Strategies for Surviving Chemical Sensitivity, the basics (2010)

Title: Strategies for Surviving Chemical Sensitivity, the basics (2010)
Author: Dr. Robert Mayer
Published by: Chemical Injury Information Network
ISBN: 0578055481
Pages: 204

    This book is a great starting place for those who have chemical sensitivity. Because I grew up with my dad having chemical sensitivity and because I had been chemically sensitive for some years, I didn’t think the book would be very helpful to me. However, I learned a lot of great things from this book that have helped me substantially. A book or other resource such as this is important for those with this illness because chemical sensitivity is so rare and advice from those experienced with chemical sensitivity is very valuable for those who are new to it.
    At 204 pages, the book is not very long. The book does not go into great depth into the covered topics but provides a good overview of a variety of issues faced by those with chemical sensitivity. Also, because it provides references to websites and other resources, it can serve as a springboard to explore various areas. Some of the topics the book covers include: issues related to housing and automobiles, finding a physician, and trying to have social experiences. One of the parts of the book I found most helpful was the results of a survey of people with chemical sensitivity. Based the survey, the researchers compiled a list of treatments that have been beneficial for the chemically sensitive.
   



No comments:

Post a Comment