Thursday, February 21, 2013

Air Purifiers for the Chemically Sensitive

My dad and I both have chemical sensitivities. Those with chemical sensitivities often have allergies or are sensitive to pollens or other substances that plants produce. My dad and I have benefitted enormously from air purifiers—the difference is like night and day. When the plant growth is at its height, my dad will run three or more air purifiers at the same time.

I have lived in a rural area and am extremely sensitive to the grasses when they go to seed. The effect the grasses have on me is like kryptonite! I become extremely tired and can barely function. However, with air purifiers running, I feel almost normal when I am in the house. It is also important to make sure the house is sealed pretty well. I sealed some air gaps in our windows and that helped a lot.

I have noticed that air purifiers also reduce the effect of herbicides such as 2,4-D. Every year, usually in early May, the church next door to my home sprays a liquid application of 2,4-D to kill dandelions and other weeds.[FN1] I have to move to a different home before the herbicide is sprayed. I stay in the other home for about a week and wait for the herbicide to dissipate. After I return, I can still feel the herbicide somewhat, but I have noticed that turning on an air purifier reduces my symptoms.

My dad and I have done great with Honeywell air purifiers. My dad said that the black prefilter on one of his models had chemicals on it that he could feel, so he just took it off and he said it still worked fine. I have not noticed any problems from the prefilter myself. We have purchased at least five of these over the years.


FN1: The man who sprays the pesticide is very nice and lets me know when he is going to spray. I have gently tried to persuade him to switch to the granule formulation because it does not affect me as much (less pesticide becomes airborne when it is in a granule rather than a mist). However, he does not believe that the granule formulation is as effective and I have heard that it is less cost effective to apply the granules.


No comments:

Post a Comment