Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Shoes for the Chemically Sensitive

I can wear some steel toe shoes I purchase from Walmart. I think I’m on my fifth pair! The brand is “Brahma” and the style is “Steve.” They cost about $30. (See http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-Men-s-Steve-Work-Boot/21610088). I like these shoes because they have thick soles. If I walk on carpet or other flooring that has pesticides or solvents on it, I can feel the solvents come up through the shoes if the soles are thin. If you find it difficult to believe that solvents can travel through the soles of your shoes, just ask the people who design chemical resistant boots and shoes.

To remove chemicals from these shoes after I buy them, I have used two different procedures: (1) I run hot water into them in the tub for 20 to 30 minutes. Then I pack baking soda into them and let them sit in the sun for a week or two; (2) I just put them through the dishwasher once and they come out wearable. I recently discovered the second procedure and I like it because it is much faster and easier. Once I tried to boil the shoes (to remove the chemicals) and they fell apart because the glue holding them together melted! Boiling them really removed the chemicals, but also destroyed the shoes.

My dad (who is also chemically sensitive) bought some Vans slip-on shoes recently and was able to wear them after putting them through the wash about seven times.

No comments:

Post a Comment