Monday, February 18, 2013

Product Review: Granite Ware Stock Pot

This is a great item for the chemically sensitive. I purchased a 21-quart Granite Ware stock pot from Amazon.com in January of 2012 for just under $30. I use this pot to keep my clothing free of chemicals. After my clothes are done drying, I put them directly into this pot, which I keep next to the shower. I can fit three days’ worth of clothing into this pot. If the pot gets chemicals on it, I just put it through the dishwasher, as it just barely fits.

The pot is steel with a layer of porcelain on the outside, so it cleans up easily. The pot I purchased was made in Mexico. Based on the reviews at Amazon.com, the porcelain can chip if something hard bangs against it, but mine has not chipped. Also, I have never used the pot for cooking, but it should not be used on glass stovetops. Because the metal is so thin, the food will burn if used on a glass stovetop.

I like these pots because they are generally much less expensive than a stainless steel pot of a similar size. Additionally, I have had problems with some stainless steel pots. Some of them seen to have solvent embedded into the metal. No matter how many times they go through the dishwasher, they still have chemicals on them that make me ill. For example, we purchased a Calphalon pot (made in China) for about $90. Even after it went through the dishwasher more than ten times, it was still toxic and unusable.

 Shop Granite Ware Stock Pots at Amazon.com

I have purchased two of these pots and they have been great:

No comments:

Post a Comment