Friday, February 15, 2013

Laundry Detergent for the Chemically Sensitive

In this post I will share some of the brands of laundry detergent that I can tolerate. I know that not everyone with chemical sensitivity can tolerate the same products. However, both my dad and I are extremely chemically sensitive, and we can both tolerate most of these products pretty well.

I like to use the powder form of detergents because I can put the powder into a container near the washing machine. I can then use a spoon to put the detergent into the washing machine. With the liquid form, I have to handle the bottle of liquid to put the detergent into the washing machine. If you are chemically sensitive to the touch, you know that the less you touch, the better. If there are chemicals on the bottle of liquid laundry detergent, my hands get chemicals on them each time I do a load of laundry. If my spoon gets chemicals on it, I just put it into the dishwasher.

Here are the laundry detergents that work well for me:

Country Save: This is probably the least toxic detergent for me that I have come across. It is expensive, however. I use the powder form.

Click here to view the selection of Country Save at Amazon.com



OxiClean: I use this regularly and it works really well. I buy it in bulk from Costco. It is less expensive than Country Save and Seventh Generation.


Click here to view the selection of Oxiclean at Amazon.com



Seventh Generation: I can tolerate a number of the detergents that Seventh Generation produces. Some of the Seventh Generation detergents have a pretty strong odor, but the odor does not bother me.

Click here to view the selection of Seventh Generation laundry detergent at Amazon.com

2 comments:

  1. Country Save is the overall worst irritant for my throat. I'm switching back to Tide until I can find a better option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tide is horrible! For a product that is generally available in the store, Purex has always worked for me and I have been a lifelong sensitive to chemicals person, with it getting worse as I have gotten older. Purex Free and Clear is even better. It was recommended by a doctor.

    ReplyDelete